Experienced and enthusiastic IT professional with over 10 years industry practice, and a proven ability to work within a team, or individually. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with a friendly, outgoing and polite personality.
Poet – Automattic
Nov 2011 – Present
Automattic are the people behind WordPress.com, PollDaddy, Gravatar, VideoPress and a bunch of other WordPress-related services.
- Building and maintaining features for VideoPress
- Providing support for VideoPress customers
Senior MySQL Support Engineer – Oracle (Formerly Sun/MySQL)
Sep 2007 – Present
MySQL is the world’s most popular Open Source database, and a key part of the LAMP stack. MySQL is used by a wide variety of companies from small startups, through to industry giants, such as Google or Nokia.
- Key Technologies: MySQL (and related applications), Perl, PHP, Linux Administration, Windows Administration, memcached, Amazon EC2.
- Providing advice to customers on a wide range of topics, including:
- Performance tuning MySQL servers in many different configurations
- Writing and reviewing queries, stored procedures and schemas
- Fixing crashed or corrupted MySQL servers
- Co-ordinating support for the Amazon EC2 platform
Senior Web Developer – Jetstar Airways
Nov 2005 – Aug 2007
Jetstar Airways is a low cost airline, wholly owned by Qantas Airways. They provide an entirely paper-less service, all ticketing is handled electronically. Jetstar recently launched itself as the world’s first International low cost carrier, serving destinations in Asia and the USA.
- Maintenance of the online booking system, including several major upgrades to support:
- Multiple languages (English, Japanese, Traditional Chinese)
- Integrated booking of Hotels, Cars and Travel Insurance
- Multiple carriers booking through jetstar.com (Jetstar, Jetstar Asia and Valuair)
- Maintenance of a PDF Itinerary generator, to create passenger itineraries in multiple languages and styles for each carrier.
- Creation and Maintenance of tools for communicating with customers and agents.
- Maintenance of internal systems used for data analysis, fare comparison and such, an integral part of maintaining an edge over competitors.
Senior Software Engineer – WhatsHot Multimedia
Feb 2005 – Nov 2005
East Bentleigh, VIC
WhatsHot Multimedia is a small Web Design and Development company, focused on providing customizable solutions to clients using an in-house Content Management framework.
- Creation of NetMaster, a tool for creating, managing and hosting websites. It has built in support for WYSIWYG page editing, Catalogues, Shopping Carts, Image Galleries, Generated Site Navigations and custom forms. It also has support for server-side configuration, including Apache, named and postfix.
- Administration of the Linux based cluster used for serving web pages.
Lead Web Developer – wotmania.com
Jan 1998 – Aug 2009
Wotmania.com is the largest community-based fan site of the Wheel of Time series, by Robert Jordan. It currently has over 30,000 members, and receives approximately 300,000 hits every day.
- Creation and maintenance of a custom, scaleable Content Management System.
- Creation and maintenance of a HTML-based real-time communications tool.
- Ongoing maintenance of news and features.
Lead Web Developer – Webbsoft Solutions
Nov 2003 – Feb 2005
Malvern East, VIC
Webbsoft Solutions is the lead provider of Sports Video Analysis software. They have two main products, Swinger and Snapper. These are for individual and team sports, respectively.
- Key Technologies: C++, MFC, PHP, SQL, HTML, CSS, Windows Networks.
- Creation and maintenance of a news and software updates section of the company website for users and resellers.
- Re-designing and upgrading client networks in an manner that will fit in with their current network design, and still handle increased traffic caused by installing a video server.
- Formal testing of various products, including WSS_Svr, a license server, Swinger, and Snapper.
Research Assistant – Monash University
Feb 2003 – Nov 2003
Monash University is one of Australia’s leading research-based higher-education institutions. The major focuses of the School of Computer Science and Software Engineering (CSSE) include Computer Graphics, Artificial Intelligence and Graph Theory.
- Key Technologies: PHP, SQL, HTML, CSS, C++, LEDA (graphing package).
- Natural Language Processing & User Modeling
- Creating administration tools for a Bayesian Network based game.
- Designing user interfaces to assist with the rapid development of non-linear scenarios.
- Distributed Data Flow Analysis
- Design of a system to analyse data flow on a parallel architecture.
- Creation of tools for generic analysis of data flow within programs.
Tutor – Monash University
Mar 2002 – Nov 2003
In order to provide the best possible education for undergraduates, CSSE requires students to attend tutorials and practical classes, where they can put into practice the theory learnt in lectures. My responsibilities included leading these classes, as well as marking assignments and examinations.
- Key Technologies: Borland C, Java, Rational Rose, Python, HTML.
Web Designer – Champ Constructions
Nov 2002 – Feb 2003
Champ Constructions is a medium-sized underground utility asset provider. It currently maintains several contracts with companies such as Origin Energy, United Energy, and Telstra.
Database Developer – Abigroup
1999 – 2001
Deer Park, VIC
Abigroup is a national engineering and construction company. It performs a variety of activities, including a broad range of specialist design and construction services, specialist major project and infrastructure packaging services, maintenance and asset management.
- Key Technologies: SQL.
Bachelor of Computer Science – Monash University
2000 – 2003
The Bachelor of Computer Science degree is designed for studying computing in depth, focusing on the software, the hardware and the underlying theory of computing and its applications to scientific and technical problem solving, and to information processing in commerce and industry. It provides a strong basis for not only understanding the latest technologies, but also for applying computer science theory to any given problem.
- Intermediate: C, C++
- Expert: Navitaire OpenSkies (Skylights)
- Intermediate: MFC (Microsoft Foundation Classes)
- Expert: Linux, Microsoft Windows
Intermediate: Microsoft Visual Studio, KDevelop
Please contact for references.